Sunday, June 27, 2010

Work

If you're wondering about my hectic work life I blogged about when I just started now, it's in control now :) I'm knocking off mostly by 4pm for now. Haha.

Anyway, I may not know if this is what I want in the long run, but it's what I want to do for now. After more than a month of work life, I feel more humbled than before. I used to think about getting a promotion as fast as possible, but now I realise there's just so much more for me to learn.

A friend once told me that somebody commented to him/her that fresh grads keep eyeing opportunities for advancements when they're searching for a job, but they don't put enough consideration into what they can value-add to the company. It's very true in Singapore, and admitedly, I guess I used to be one of those fresh grads. For now, I would still like advancement of course, but I now know my limits and won't expect one before I'm deemed fit for it :)

It's a big world out there, with so much more to see and experience for yourself! There's so much more to feel and be touched. I would like to stay put at where I am to experience and learn what I'm going through now and learn from my fellow experienced colleagues, and be humbled with all these first.

I have no sky-high salary, but I know that every one of the clients I am serving is thankful and appreciative for what we provide for them. I have not many days off from work, but the tiny smiles and endless peals of laughter keeps me going for now. I have no eye-boggling bonus and welfare packages, but my heart is warmed everyday. I know what I am doing now has a life-altering effect in the clients I serve, and this makes me both proud and humbled at the same time.

Job satisfaction can alter this much your attitude toward the benefits you are receiving compared to your peers. Don't let yourself be shaken by comparing with your peers what you're receiving. Ask yourself what you wanted at the beginning, and whether you have/am on the path to achieving your goal.

Grass is greener on the other side? There's just a thin line between being unambitious, and being rationale, giving oneself and one's job the due respect and time before starting to compare :)

If you think you're having a much harder time or working much harder than others, why fret? You're young and you've just taken off. It's the best time to strive harder! If you can take the extreme hardship now, there's nothing that can overwhelm you in your many more years to come!

That is of course, given you're not working under super disastrous and horrible circumstances. Haha.

Alright, shall stop my out-of-nowhere prep talk. I'm off for a jog! :)

3 comments:

  1. wow ur last sentence rhymes. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:58 AM

    You should be a valedictorian man... Very well said and I salute you for this.

    -Lewis-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie- err. hahaha. i still want to eat ah chew.

    Lewis- haha shou bu qi ah. just some self-realization after working for awhile! :)

    ReplyDelete